Saturday, June 11, 2011

What's in the garden?

Hey guys. So Robin planted some stuff in the garden before she left and C-los and I harvested some of it today. We got sage, oregano, spearmint, chives and lettuce. There is also kale and peas growing there, as well as some stuff we couldn't recognize.

I have posted some pictures in the hope that Robin or anyone else can help us ID these mystery plants.


Specimen Number 1: Mystery leaf that looks like basil but doesn't smell like it.


Specimen Number 2: Mystery plant with long stem and white flowers.

The mulberries have also started coming up as well as some beautiful red roses on the Grand porch and rosy ones on the College Ave. porch. Summer is here!

4 comments:

Robin said...

specimen number 1: where was this planted? if it was in the same place as the other herbs, it was given to us to Julia Sisson, and I have no clue what it is.

specimen number 2: which bed was this planted in? it looks arugula/some sort of leafy green that bolted, and so it probably isn't good anymore.

sorry I am not more helpful!
I am glad that some stuff is growing and getting eaten.

all my love
robs

Sara said...

Hey I dunno if this just went through or not, but I'm trying again.

Specimen number 1. I'm almost positive its over grown spinach. Usually we pick it before that stage, but its still good. We just pick some from the TH garden that looked like that. I made a salad out of it which was a bit tough, but we also cooked it in omelets which was delicious. its yummy even though its a little past its prime.

Specimen number 2. my best guess is that its salad greens that have over grown as well. Since they are flowering they might be pretty bitter by now. It would be the leaves at the bottom, some of which are turning yellow, that you could eat. Try them and if they are too bitter just don't worry about it, but if they are still good salad greens eat them up!

Hope this helps!
Love, Sara

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nadine said...

Thanks, guys!